Monday, April 20, 2009

Buzzard Wars

I was walking through the fields a couple of mornings ago when I saw two of the buzzards overhead. Nothing unusual in that. I see as many as six sometimes all soaring and circling together.
.
However, this time there were only two and they were flying oddly. At first I thought they were struggling to find thermals and gain height. It was cool and misty with no visible sun, so thermals would have been hard to find.
.
Then I realised that in fact, one of the buzzards was attacking the other and trying to drive it off.
.
It was utterly fascinating to watch. It's amazing just how much it resembles a dogfight between to old World War I bi-planes; each trying to gain the advantage over the other. Each was trying to get to the rear of it's opponent and attack from the back, but off course each was trying to stop the other doing the same. A fantasy ballet in the air......

No comments:

Post a Comment