Thursday, March 12, 2009

Comfrey and exposed soil

I've ordered a lot of comfrey plants today... I say plants... I suspect they'll each be a couple of inches of root cutting, but that's fine. There's fifty of them coming, but by the time they have grown up and I've split them up a couple of times, there will be plenty to fill the space (about 30m by 16m). That should keep me in green manure for a long time to come.

I've ordered them to arrive mid to end of April. The area is overgrown with weeds right now and I want the chance to get the site cleared. Next week I'm going to start combing the local supermarkets for cardboard boxes to use as a weed-killing mulch. That should give me a month for the weeds to weaken before I plant the comfrey rots through the mulch.

.
.
I also ordered a batch of meadow grass/wildflower seed. It's only a kilogram of seed, but my main interest right now is to cover the areas of naked soil revealed either by being ploughed up by the over-wintering sheep ploughing up the turf, the walkers on the footpaths wearing through the turf, or by the ministrations of our local moles....... it actually works for me. Most farmers detest moles for revealing bare soil, but I want to start diversifying the plant life a bit. The areas of bare soil are not huge, but if the plant life can get a foothold.....

The flower/grass mix is just a standard "for wetland" mix. I didn't add any "specials". I'm mainly interested in increasing diversity generally while I research detail on what might be specifically useful....... an I need to cover that bare earth, before more thistles move in.

.
.
The thistles need to be dealt with....if I leave them to it they will take over the farm. Perhaps goats? Donkeys? What likes thistles but won't destroy everything else? Goats can be tethered of course..... but I don't like tethering animals.......
.
.
I have a draft layout now for the "herb patch". It's a bit ambitious and semi-formal, but it should both produce the plants I want and look utterly beautiful. And it's right next to the comfrey patch. I'll scan my sketches and add them to another post. But I am going to need a lot of bricks for footpaths.
.
.
Now where can I get that many bricks?????? E-Bay here I come....

No comments:

Post a Comment